Friday, January 25, 2008

A Gospel According to Yoda?

I've never been a huge fan of Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. I don't find anything wrong with the movies themselves or the people who enjoy watching them. I personally have difficulty relating to the excitement people have for them and the state of shock I often receive from fans when I "confess" I could care less about these movies. One thing I still don't understand is why these type of films have such a cult-like following. The sociological side of me is curious to understand why people stay out all night in the cold to be the first to watch the newest movie in the series. Or better yet, people who travel hundreds of miles each year for conventions about a fictional movie.

This NPR story just adds to my lack of interest in these type of films. There is now a church, yes an established religion, based on the ways of the Jedi. My first reaction was to laugh at the ridiculous basis of this church. Soon my laughter turned to feeling so sad for these people who seek to become a master Jedi instead of seeking real truth and a real force that can only be found in God.

Jeremiah 2:11-13, 28-29
Has a nation ever changed its gods?
(Yet they are not gods at all.)
But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols.
Be appalled at this, O heavens,
and shudder with great horror," declares the LORD.
"My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me, the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water.
They say to wood, 'You are my father,' and to stone, 'You gave me birth.'
They have turned their backs to me and not their faces;
yet when they are in trouble, they say,
'Come and save us!'
Where then are the gods you made for yourselves?
Let them come if they can save you when you are in trouble!
For you have as many gods as you have towns, O Judah.
"Why do you bring charges against me?
You have all rebelled against me," declares the LORD.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Aw man...cut me why don't you? :) Yeah I like the movies but no I wouldn't equate myself with such fanatics. But I think for myself, and a few other Star Wars fans, it's a bit of nostalgia that keeps me watching them since I grew up watching the movies. And lots of people grew up reading LOTR. But hey, for some people, it's easier living in that world than any other alternative.