Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Artsy Holiday Weekend

I went to St. Louis to spend Thanksgiving with my family. It was a nice relaxing weekend and I was able to catch up with my parents and some friends in town. Jon Krueger who is at Covenant Seminary now was in St. Louis over the holiday and we were able to get together on Friday night. We went to the St. Louis Art Museum and saw the Rembrandt exhibit. It was wonderful. I don't remember studying Rembrandt's work in CHOW A&M at Covenant, but I'm sure I did. It makes all the difference when you see the art up close and out of the mundane textbook!

On Saturday my parents and I went to the Missouri Botanical Gardens. The weekend was unusually warm for this part of the year and was perfect weather to be walking around outside! We went there to see the Chihuly exhibition. Dale Chihuly is an artist who creates amazing objects from blown glass. If you are in St. Louis sometime before January 1--GO see it!

Missouri Botanical Garden website: http://www.mobot.org/chihuly/
Dale Chihuly's website: http://www.chihuly.com/

Here are some pictures from the MBG. Please ignore my squinting eyes! It was very sunny and I forgot my sunglasses!!!
















5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! Those are so pretty and unusual! I had a hard time finding some of the sculptures in the picture, because I thought they were plants!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Em!
There is a Chihuly exhibit here in Colorado Springs, too! He is such an amazing artist and I love his work! How fun!

Lydia said...

Ooh, and he's from Seattle! I don't think I've ever been to one of his exhibits, but I've seen a few of his works- they're fascinating!

Susan said...

I know this comment is way overdue, but we just learned about Chihuly in my art appreciation class last week. What great timing to rediscover your blog.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.