Friday, February 16, 2007

The Mission Field in the Comfort of Your Home

Last weekend my co-workers and I taught foster and adoptive parent classes again to 3 families who are considering fostering, adopting, or a combination of both. The training is 18-20 hours in 3 days and I teach about 6 hours of the curriculum. Returning from these trainings are very inspirational to me and I'm always renewed in the passion I have for the thousands of children in this county who need temporary foster homes and those who are looking for their forever family through adoption. It is so incredible to see our potential foster/adoptive parents work through some really difficult truths about the need and lack of homes willing to open their doors. Each time I teach this class I see God's hand work in their lives and allow Him to stretch and mold their hearts to what He may be calling for their lives. This exact experience happened this weekend were a family did an almost 180 degree turn in the direction for their family. They went from considering infant or international adoption only (which is still greatly needed, don't get me wrong) to also opening their hearts to providing foster care to non-infant and elementary aged children.

The need for foster and adoption homes for children over the age of 8 is overwhelming. In Georgia alone there are about 14,000 children in state custody. 8,500 of these children are in family foster homes or relative foster homes and 1,200 in group homes settings. Most of the children in group homes are living there because there are no family foster homes available mainly because the children are older and less desirable to most families. The rest of the children are either still awaiting adoption, looking for adoptive families, or need specific or specialized services.

I view all our foster parents as full-time missionaries. They are not only agreeing to minister to children, but they are agreeing to do it 24-7 in their own homes for an average of 2-4 years. I feel strongly that the church today needs to see how families fostering children is a true mission field, not only to the children, but also to the birth families (many who really strive to do what is right) and the surrounding community. My agency's focal verse is Mark 9:37, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in My name, welcomes Me..."

In the United States there are more than 134,000 children in the foster care program who are available for adoption--TODAY. These children have had superior court hearings were the birth family's parental rights were terminated and the children are just waiting for a family to adopt them.

People who know me know that I love Wendy's. Well, besides there cheap jr. bacon cheeseburger I have other reasons why I like the restaurant. Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's, was also the founder of the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption. The foundation's goal is to help increase the number of foster care adoptions in the United States. I have one of their promotional posters in my office that shows a mom and about 16 year old female and reads "We didn't see her first steps, but we'll watch her walk down the aisle." This poster and others around our office remind me of the "big picture" of what I'm doing here 40 hours a week.

I could talk about this subject for hours. Whether you are interested in foster care, adoption, or just how to help get the word out and want more information let me know. I can also help you find out how to get involved in your community to adovacate for these kids or to help with the agency I work for.

No comments: