Saturday, October 27, 2007

Happy Halloween

Fall is definitely my favorite time of year. I love the cool brisk weather, the colors of the changing leaves, and the smells of pumpkins and spice. Halloween has also been one of my favorite holidays, especially as a kid. I always felt bad for the kids whose parents did not allow them to participate in what they considered a "holiday of the devil". Even now I can't understand why trick-or-treating can be considered by some as participating in evil. How can dressing up in fun costumes and getting free candy be wrong?!?! Thankfully my parents were fans of Halloween and loved helping my brother and I get our costumes ready each year. Some of my favorite costumes as a kid were: a mime, little Bo Peep, a cheerleader, a cat, and a giant M&Ms bag. I grew up in a large neighborhood (300+ homes) and the amount of candy I racked up each Halloween was by the pillowcase fulls. After a few hours (yes, I said hours) my brother and I would come back to the house and pour out our earnings all over the living room floor. This was usually followed by a squeal of delight. We would then proceed to the "serious" part of the evening--bartering. Each year it went something like this, "Hey El, I'll trade you ALL my **cough-crappy-cough**orange circus peanuts AND 25 pennies for 3 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups." Good memories.
Sadly, I do not have any plans of dressing up this year and I doubt a single trick-or-treater will come by my apartment. However, in the spirit of the season I carved a pumpkin!!!
Happy Halloween!
This is what happens to trees in the south when there is a drought.


My cat, Chloe, was pretty fixated by the glowing pumpkin on the balcony.


1 comment:

Becca said...

Woah, did you carve that!? That's really good! I gave up on carving pumpkins a long time ago...too messy. But I do agree that this is the best time of the year, now that it's finally cooled off some! :)